Saturday, July 30, 2011

Art School

I've been a student in an art college for about three years, so you can say that there isn't much that can really surprise me about people in that kind of setting anymore. I suppose the first thing I should say is that there are a lot of common misconceptions about art college. I know the first thing people say when I tell them, "I go to art school," is "oh." As if that just covers everything. A lot of people think that art students are lazy, pot-smoking hippies who haven't made it out of the 70s. Which for about 50% of the school is probably absolutely true. Are they lazy? Yes, probably. Are they pot smokers? I don't doubt it. Even some of the older teachers join in on this kind of action, trust me.

But then there are the other 50%. The second 50% are the ones who sit there and work their asses off day and night and probably haven't even had the time to attend a party, not to mention become a full-time pot smoker. I'm a digital media major. I fall in that category... the category that often ends up saying, "I wish I had gone to a normal school so I would actually have a manageable work load." If you think I'm kidding, you should've seen the way I had to handle my classes about two semesters back. It's hard to say we have it easy when you have people skipping class so they can finish work for a different class.

What you learn really quickly about art school is that it's not really all about the art. In fact, art school is about 75% bullshitting and learning how to convinced people you actually meant for something to be that way (even if you're making shit up on the spot), 15% learning technique, and 10% creativity. It's all about the "concept" here. There is no definite grading system. You just do the best you can, hope you're motivated when the time comes, and then move on to the next project. Art school doesn't really recognize midterms. There are no big tests or crazy extras, unless you have the misfortune of having a professor that likes to tack on extras on top of your workload. Every class is a constant array of projects on top of projects. And these aren't things you can usually get done in just a one to two hour study session. Many of the projects I've dealt with have been as many as 10-20+ hours each. No kidding. And yet, somehow it miraculously all gets done.

Though I was a little shocked the first time I took an art history class and viewed slide after slide of nude male sculptures and paintings, after about a week or two, the excitement was gone. By now I'm completely desensitized to it. But beyond the projects, the nude sculptures, random paintings of sexual organs and the rest of the crazy stuff that goes on in this school, by far the most shocking things are the students. I have seen the students in my school do, say, and wear things that I would have never believed before I came here. And yet, by now I am so accustomed to it, that it takes me a minute to realize that it's strange. Though I am constantly tested, I love this school. Having to take a foreign language class in a normal state college over the summer for a graduation requirement has made me realize just how much I actually love the weirdness of this school. Truly, there is nothing else like it...

~C.Mitchell

No comments:

Post a Comment